TRIGGER WARNING

**TRIGGER WARNING**This blog contains subject matter that could very well be triggering for some as it covers childhood sexual abuse and rape culture. My intention is to raise awareness and encourage other victims to let their voices be heard, NOT to offend, attention-seek, name call, blame or point fingers.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to my story.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

A Challenge to you: Compassionate letter to self

This coping mechanism has actually assisted me over the last couple of years. I still have a letter I wrote to myself at the beginning of summer '13 when I was starting a new job. It was sent to my school apartment, I received it and remembered that it even existed several months later.
The letter brought me to tears, my words were so honest & resonated within me deeply. I was raped that summer by a coworker, I denied the nature of what happened to try to make things easier on myself (but really it was to make things easier for him, he was mentally ill and preyed on my sympathy, manipulated feelings I didn't have)
I had this realization that nothing was going to change, this pattern of abuse would keep repeating itself until I CHANGED. It wasn't that I was the problem, but I was hurting myself by not being honest with myself and seeking therapeutic help.
"lessons repeat themselves until learned" I later learned in an outpatient program.
I have this voice that is worth speaking up for. A voice worth fighting for.
But sometimes I feel really small and even the most sensical decisions become overwhelming.

A letter to self is a way of tuning into yourself; what you really need to hear to get through this; what insecurities have been coming to surface; what is hurting rather than helping you.
For me it often becomes a love letter to self cause sometimes that's really what I need to hear the most; that I'm lovable even if it's coming from me. A excerpt from my most recent letter;

"You are alive and you are the most significant person to me. I love all of you, from your fingertips down to your toes, your WHOLE SOUL, I've never seen beauty as intimate, honest and raw as you. Your MIND, BODY & SOUL are YOURS ALONE to move forward with into the future."
"You accept the love you deserve in the here and now because you are worth SO much more than the tragedies of your past"

Turn your pain into passions. Don't let what you can't control confine you. Don't let what you hate define you.
Namastae <3 Dane

No comments:

Post a Comment