TRIGGER WARNING

**TRIGGER WARNING**This blog contains subject matter that could very well be triggering for some as it covers childhood sexual abuse and rape culture. My intention is to raise awareness and encourage other victims to let their voices be heard, NOT to offend, attention-seek, name call, blame or point fingers.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to my story.

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

One Hell of a Ride

Today when signing my graduation paperwork a school survey asked;
"If you could go back prior to your baccalaureate education--would you choose PITT again?"
I laughed when I read this, truly not knowing what my answer would be. I read the question to my advisor in the School of General Studies, a super nice man I only just met for the first time and said, "It's been one hell of a ride that's for sure", to which he replied,
"...Well, there's nothing quite like a hell of a ride"

There's been ups but mainly downs. It has been nothing like I 'expected' college to be. But then again I never expected myself to go to college. The funny thing about growing up and not looking forward to your future is you don't set expectations for yourself. I've gone through the large majority of my student life with undiagnosed ADHD; it has always felt like I have been fighting an uphill battle with no one on my side.

I'll be graduating with the highest honors possible at PITT and am going on to an Autism Spectrum Disorder Endorsement Graduate program.
In high school I used to try really hard because I wanted to prove the girls wrong who called me an "idiot". I have not worked this hard at PITT to prove anything to anyone. I promised myself I would do the best I could, and I believe that's what I've done

What I will take away from this is when you go in with no expectations, you will always surpass what you believed yourself capable of.
Don't count your losses, don't live with regrets, don't ask for permission,
Just be who you are today, and don't let anyone try to tell you that's not good enough.

namastae.

No comments:

Post a Comment